Right now, budget talks are going on in Washington D.C., and one of the programs being discussed - The Maternal, Infant and Early Childhood Home Visiting program, or MIECHV - is one we care about deeply.
We’re convinced that this program can make a real difference in the lives of children and families around the country.
Why? Read on, and we’ll share our top reasons for supporting MIECHV. Hopefully by the end, you’ll agree with us enough to call your senator or representative and tell them that they should support MIECHV too.
1. MIECHV provides funding for programs that support families in all 50 states, six U.S. territories, and numerous tribal territories throughout the nation.
2. Research has shown that home visiting programs supported by MIECHV, such as Healthy Families America, improve the early health and development of children, improve maternal health and family self-sufficiency, and reduce incidences of child maltreatment.
3. MIECHV has been supported by both parties since its creation in 2009. Democrats and Republicans agree that this program is proven to be successful and is an effective use of taxpayer money.
4. Home visiting programs funded by MIECHV are completely voluntary and are open to families of all demographics.
5. And while the cost of MIECHV is low, the program has shown a return-on-investment of between $1.80 and $5.70 per dollar invested. That means that MIECHV is not only making a difference in the lives of children and families today, but also positioning the country for a brighter and more prosperous future.
6. More than 700 organizations are petitioning Congress to maintain the current funding level for MIECVH, including representatives from state legislatures, tribal leaders, and individuals from communities around the country.
Beyond these few reasons here, there are plenty more reasons to support MIECHV. Yet for us, all of these many reasons boil down to one.
We support MIECHV because it works.
Call or email your senator or representative today to let them know that you support MIECHV, and you hope they do. It’s one small thing that can make a huge difference in the lives of children and families around the country.